Re: Ext4 data structures integrity

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Ted Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 06:19:12PM +0300, Kasatkin, Dmitry wrote:
>>
>> I work on integrity protection subsystem IMA/EVM (linux/security/integrity).
>> The target is to protect against offline modifications.
>> Using block re-mapping I was able to implement simple attack which
>> allows to circumvent IMA integrity verification.
>> In order to prevent this kind of attack, it is necessary to run fsck every boot.
>>

> OK, well, the way you worded your "bug report" it sounded like you
> were complaining that fsck was fixing such file system corruptions.  I
> wish you would have stated explicitly what you were trying to do from
> the beginning.  Grumble....

Hello..

Sorry for such impression... I did not complain...

>> I want to know if there is a better way to prevent such attacks...
>
> I suspect your real problem is that IMA is caching the results of its
> integrity check.  If you don't want to require a full fsck to catch
> this kind of double-mapped blocks, then you're going to have to do the
> checksum each and every time the blocks are read into memory.  This
> will catch the situation where a block is double mapped.

This is exactly the problem...
After verification of the file, IMA sets status to INTEGRITY_OK.
If then I modify the content via "shadow file", then when reloading first one,
IMA will not verify it again...

> The file system isn't magic, you know.  There's a reason why we don't
> check for cross-linked blocks except at fsck time; because otherwise
> it would be an intolerable performance penalty.  If IMA wishes to
> provide this kind of guarantee, it's IMA's responsibility to inflict
> this performance penalty on the user, either by forcing an fsck check
> every single time, or by doing integrity checksums every time.

Yes. I know it's not magic :)
This exactly the current "already existing" solution - run fsck every boot...

No. No. Never said like that :)

>                                                - Ted

Thanks!

- Dmitry