Re: possible bug in /proc filesystem?

I noticed that /proc entries are owned by the user who started the process.
However I can't start the apache parent process by root, since it binds to port 80, so it has to be started by root in all cases.
Anyway, apache itself somehow changes its owned from root to 'apache' used and forks all child processes as 'apache' user.

If I start apache using root user, its process ID is for example 1234, and the directory /proc/1234 is owned by root. All childs of process 1234 have their directories in /proc as well, for example /proc/1235, those are all owned by apache, not root. All of this is expected functionality. But even if the directory /proc/1235 is owned by use apache, its own subdirectory /proc/1235/fd is owned by root. I have no explanation why that happens, I am expecting different behavior here.

/proc/1234 <- parent ID, owned by root
/proc/1235 <- child of 1234, owned by apache
/proc/1235/fd <- owned by root, not accessible even by the proces 1235 itself !

Perhaps the way how apache changes its owner from root to 'apache' for all the child processes is somehow incorrect.

Anyway, my question remains for somebody who understands /proc source code: where should I look in order to change permissions of 'fd' directory or owner of 'fd' directory to something reasonable, so apache (or even EVERYBODY) can access it? I am willing to patch the kernel for this, since there is just the webserver on the machine and I don't really really care if 'untrusted' user can see open files of other users.

Thank you

Tomas M