Re: overlayfs patches for ovl_copy_up & ovl_rename

Jordi Pujol <jordipujolp@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> A Dijous 19 Maig 2011 10:49:31, Miklos Szeredi va escriure:
>> This file, which modifications are lost, is this on the upper
>> filesystem, the lower filesystem or both, before the modification?  And
>> after the modification?
>>
>> >  or when doing a big
>> > upgrade of the system packages, some files are lost.
>>
>> How are they lost?  They don't exist when they should?  What's the
>> contents of the upper and lower filesystems?
>
> in the sed case, the file exists in the lower filesystem and is copied
> to tmpfs, removed and moved from tmpfs to the original file; several
> times the same operations are done.

Thanks for the info.

So what you see as the end result is the same as the original lower
file?  Or there's a file on the upper filesystem which contains old data?

>   in the package upgrade, the file
> does not exists, it is created on tmpfs and moved to the final
> overlayfs directory; after we can check that it does not exist there.

Does it exist on the upper filesystem?

> As I thinked previously, the common operation that appears in both processes
> and maybe the cause of the problem is move from another filesystem to
> overlayfs.

"mv" between two filesystems is actually impelemented as copy+remove.

Thanks,
Miklos