Re: jfs_fsck fails at boot, after upgrade to recent kernel

On 05/01/2011 08:03 AM, Matt Dunnington wrote:
Hi

I'd appreciate some help with an issue that I'm experiencing with my
root jfs partition being mounted read only at boot, due to jfs_fsck
returning code 11. Below is a log of what is shown on screen after
jfs_fsck has been run on the rootfs:

Could not locate device by label or uuid

Seems to be failing to open the journal. Do you use an external journal? If so, what device is it on?

warning... fsck.jfs for device /dev/md1 exiteds with signal 11

Found a bug. not checking the return code of findLog() properly. Fixing this will result in jfs_fsck failing cleanly rather than a segfault, but probably won't get you any further.

operational error
remounting root filesystem read/write
mount: / not mounted already, or bad option

I'm guessing that the filesystem is still clean, and the rw mount is failing for the same reason as jfs_fsck. It doesn't find the journal.

root filesystem could not be mounted read/write

The issue arose when I upgraded my kernel from 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 to
2.6.38-gentoo-r3. If I boot my original kernel the system still boots
fine, but booting the new kernel results in the errors above. Is this a
bug, or perhaps I have missed something in my kernel configuration?

If you're using an external journal, then it may be a configuration error and the kernel isn't configuring the journal device. If not, then I'll have to dig deeper.

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance. Please let me know if
you need any further information.

Best Regards
Matt Dunnington

Thanks,