Re: overlayfs.v8 testing on a Live system

Jordi Pujol <jordipujolp@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Next I expose some comments about the test of the overlayfs.v8 union
> filesystem driver in the LneT live system,
>
> COMPILE THE KERNEL.
>
> some modifications are needed to compile:
>
> - rename fs/overlayfs/overlayfs.c to fs/overlayfs/module.c
>
> - modify fs/overlayfs/Makefile
> #
> # Makefile for the overlay filesystem.
> #
>
> obj-$(CONFIG_OVERLAYFS_FS) += overlayfs.o
>
> overlayfs-objs := module.o \
> 	inode.o \
> 	dir.o \
> 	readdir.o \
> 	copy_up.o
>
> - add this line in fs/overlayfs/copy_up.c
>  #include <linux/security.h>
> +#include <asm/uaccess.h>
>  #include "overlayfs.h"

Thanks for reporting these.  These are already fixed them in the
latest version of the overlayfs.v8 tree.

> Persistent mode: Works on a live system when the upperdir is on disk.
> It's a good development, functionally easy and straight, seems very fast,
> although I don't have measured how much,
>
> But some failure has been detected.
>
> DETECTED FAILURE.
>
> Scenario:
> - lowerdir is an squashfs mounted on a tmpfs dir.
> - upperdir is on an ext4 formatted partition.
>
> An script modifies a file that initially is in lowerdir, issuing consecutive
> commands:
>
> sed -i -r -e 's|\[X-\*-Core\]|&\nServerTimeout=120|' /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
> sed -i -e 's/\(ServerArgsLocal\=.*\)$/\1 \-dpi 120/' /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
> sed -i -e 's/#\(ServerArgsRemote\=.*\)$/\1 \-dpi 120/' /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
>
> Sometimes first or second changes are lost, only remain the changes
> done by the last commands.

Hmm, can you please send a minimal script and necessary files with which
I can reproduce this?

> IMPROVEMENTS and WHISHLIST.
>
> - upperdir on tmpfs, TODO feature already mentioned in the announcing message.
>
> - xattrs optionally disabled, implement mount option: "nouser_xattr" (option
> name is taken from man mount). Actually this is the default (AFAIK the only)
> behaviour for a Live system, Standard Linux Security is used in the root
> filesystem, it's fast and a desktop system does not need complicated security
> configurations.

You can add nouser_xattr option for the upper filesystem and then things
should work as expected.

> - lowerdir may be a list of directories separated by colon (:), they must
> appear in the options string from upper to lower.
> That is very interesting, using this feature is easy to create different
> configurations that use the same base Live OS.
> example:
> mount -t overlayfs upperdir=/upper,lowerdir=/lower1:/lower2:...:/lowerN
> overlayfs /rootdir

It shoulnd't be too difficult to implement multipe layers, but this is
not a feature I want to implement before the current functinality is
accepted and has had some time to mature.

> - after the previous improvement has been done then we can think about
> changing interactively a Live OS to another configuration, that is
> done adding and removing branches to the union filesystem. Only some
> Live systems make it, others do not have an interactive configuration
> but require a reboot for changing to another configuration,

Okay, see above comment.

Thanks,
Miklos