Re: [Lsf] IO less throttling and cgroup aware writeback (Was: Re: Preliminary Agenda and Activities for LSF)

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:47:17AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 04:04:37PM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 09:08:04AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> > >
> > > That's not a shared case, that's a transfer of ownership. If the
> > > task changes groups, you have to charge all it's pages to the new
> > > group, right? Otherwise you've got a problem where a task that is
> > > not part of a specific cgroup is still somewhat controlled by it's
> > > previous cgroup. It would also still influence that previous group
> > > even though it's no longer a member. Not good for isolation purposes.
> > >
> > > And if you are transfering the state, moving the inode from the
> > > dirty list of one cgroup to another is trivial and avoids any need
> > > for the dirty state to be shared....
> >
> > I am wondering how do you map a task to an inode. Multiple tasks in the
> > group might have written to same inode. Now which task owns it?
>
> That sounds like a completely broken configuration to me. If you are
> using cgroups for isolation, you simple do not share *anything*
> between them.
>
> Right now the only use case that has been presented for shared
> inodes is transfering a task from one cgroup to another.

Moving applications dynamically across cgroups happens quite often
just to put task in right cgroup after it has been launched or if
a task has been running for sometime and system admin decides that
it is causing heavy IO impacting other cgroup's IO. Then system
admin might move it into a separate cgroup on the fly.

> Why on
> earth would you do that if it is sharing resources with other tasks
> in the original cgroup? What use case does this represent, how often
> is it likely to happen, and who cares about it anyway?

> Let's not overly complicate things by making up requirements that
> nobody cares about....

Ok, so you are suggesting that always assume that only one task has
written pages to inode and if that's not the case it is broken
cofiguration.

So if a task moves across cgroups, determine the pages and associated
inodes and move everything to the new cgroup. If inode happend to be
shared, then inode moves irrespective of the fact somebody else also
was doing IO to it. I guess reasonable first step.

Thanks
Vivek