Re: ext2 large block size > page size

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Mason wrote:

> > > Was this ever accepted into the main line?
> > > (It seems to have lived within -mm for a while)
> >
> > Nope, it never was (as you've by now figured out).

I was not able to get the base patchset in that allowed
the page cache to work with different page sizes. Reason given was that
the functionality that this was used for would never have a chance to be
accepted.

> > A lot of the rationale for larger block sizes was obviated by the use
> > of more advanced file systems, such as ext4, which have other methods
> > of dealing with the inefficiencies caused by smaller block sizes.  If
> > your main complaint with using a 4k block size on the set-top box was
> > the mount-time slowness, that can be fixed with the nocheck mount
> > option.

The rationale for the large block size patchset was to avoid having to
handle small 4k chunks both in the hardware and the OS paths. That
rationale is still there. The fixes to file systems address meta data issues
at a higher level. What you can do on the page level (and what we have
done) is basically improve locking but that will at some point no longer
be enough since the I/O sizes keep on increasing. At some point we need to
be able to handle larger physical chunks.

Andrea's work in getting THP committed to the kernel lays some more
groundwork for future possibilities. We could f.e. have a base 2M page
size for the page cache at some point (some form of my patches to allow
the page cache to function with different orders are required though).

With larger sizes also come fragmentation issues. We have continually
added more means to handle defragmentation do compaction. At some point we
should be able to handle larger contiguous blocks and be able to implement
larger block sizes.