Re: Again:request for integration inotify in FUSE and fs like CIFS.

2011/3/20 Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:49:26 +0000
> Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> The CIFS protocol does have some support for async notifications like
> this. IIUC, implementation of that in samba was one of the driving
> reasons for dnotify. There's even some vestigial code in Linux CIFS
> that implements some of the on-the-wire bits.
>
> Actually shoehorning support for that back into the VFS however is a
> large, non-trivial project, as Al points out. Steve F. has been talking
> about that for a while now (ever since the dir_notify operations were
> ripped out), but to my knowledge no one has written any actual code to
> do this.
>
> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Ok, as I understand you correctly, to implement this in the VFS is complicated.

And doing this in a userspace daemon like gamin is?
Gamin has some methods to do the notifying for clients, using polling,
(i)notify and others which are available.
But with FUSE and cifs it's maybe better to have some communication
between the notify daemon and the mounted filesystem, like messages
coming from the notify daemon to the fs about a notify watch set on a
inode, and messages back about notify events.

With my project, a creating a GoboLinux environement using a FUSE fs
and pamchroot and other techniques, gamin is completly lost and
useless.

Stef