[LSF/MM TOPIC] Utilizing T10/DIF in Filesystems

I would like to talk about the status and future direction of T10/DIF support
in the kernel.  Here's something resembling an abstract:

Utilizing T10/DIF in Filesystems

For quite some time, we've been discussing the inclusion of T10/DIF
functionality into the kernel to associate a small amount of checksum/integrity
data with each sector.  Now that actual hardware is appearing on the market, it
is time to take another look at what we can do with this feature.

We'd like to discuss at least a few specific topics:

1. How to resolve the write-after-checksum problem (if we haven't fixed it by then).
2. How do we expose a API that enables userspace to read and write  application
   tags that go with a file's data blocks?
3. How could we make use of the application tag for metadata blocks?
4. A 16-bit application tag is rather small.  What could we do with DIF if that
   tag were bigger, and how could we make that happen?

--D