Re: [LSF/FS TOPIC] I/O performance isolation for shared storage

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 03:07:15PM -0800, Chad Talbott wrote:
>> I'd like to hear more about this.
>
> If a group dispatches some IO and then it is empty, then it will be
> deleted from service tree and when new IO comes in, it will be put
> at the end of service tree. That way all the groups become more of
> round robin and there is no service differentiation.
>
> I was thiking that when a group gets backlogged instead of putting
> him at the end of service tree come up with a new mechanism of
> where they are put at certain offset from the st->min_vdisktime. This
> offset is more for high prio group and less for low prio group. That
> way even if a group gets deleted and comes back again with more IO
> there is a chance it gets schedled ahead of already queued low prio
> group and we could see some service differentiation even with idling
> disabled.

This is interesting.  I think Nauman may have come up with a different
method to address similar concerns.  In his method, we remember a
group's vdisktime even when they are removed from the service tree.
This would lead fairness over too long of a time window implemented by
itself.  Only when the disk becomes idle, we "forget" everyone's
vdisktime.  We should be sending that patch out Real Soon Now, along
with the rest.

> [..]
>> There is interest in accounting for IO time, and ioprio doesn't
>> provide a notion of "tagging" IO by submitter.
>
> I am curious to know how IO time can be accounted with deep queue depths
> as once say 32 or more requests are in driver/device, we just don't
> know which request consumed how much of actual time.

Yes, that's a large problem.  We would be interested in the partial
solution that works against shallow queues.

Thinking out loud: it occurs to me that without device support, some
sort of device performance model might be hard to avoid when trying to
understand the work incurred by a given request.

Chad