[LSF/FS TOPIC] Scaling file systems on high performance flash devices

Flash device vendors are coming up with faster and faster devices
every year.  Given the high performance supported by these devices,
there are thoughts about using them not only as high performance
storage but also as a replacement for huge quantities of DRAM. That
particular use case would put very stringent requirements on the
performance of file systems on these devices --- an issue that should
be discussed.

I will share our experience running some experiments on a high
performance flash device (FusionIO IODrive duo) with ext4 and XFS. We
have devised an extensive set of experiments focused on finding the
scaling and overhead problems in the kernel. Our experiments use
various IO sizes, and perform IO in both synchronous multi-threaded
mode and AIO mode. We configure our setup to bypass the block layer
(fusionIO driver supports that), and do IO in O_DIRECT mode to
minimize overhead in the kernel. In spite of such optimizations, we
still see performance issues especially while doing IO at the peak
throughput capacity available on these drives. The issues pertain to
CPU scheduling behavior, filesystem metadata manipulation, and
basically the whole kernel code path involved in doing IO to
such devices, that would not be involved if data was read from DRAM
directly.

--
Nauman