[LSF/MM TOPIC][ATTEND] Merging the Lustre filesystem

Hello,

I would like to attend the LSF file system track for discussing the inclusion of the Lustre filesystem in the kernel.

Lustre is a massively parallel distributed file system widely used in the High Performance Computing (HPC) world. Lustre filesystems are used in clusters ranging from small universities and company departments to large-scale supercomputers (50% of the top 500 computers run Lustre).
Lustre is available under the GNU GPL license and has a large community, with emerging open-source foundation support.
Both the Lustre client and server components run in the kernel space. Lustre servers use a modified version of ext4 as the backing filesystem, which itself has benefited from a significant number of features contributed by the Lustre team. That said, work is taking place to port Lustre to btrfs and we also would like to discuss this with the Linux filesystem developers.

In the past, there were ongoing discussions about merging the Lustre code into the kernel, but they failed due to the significant changes required to the kernel at that time. We are now in a different situation since the Lustre client no longer requires the kernel to be patched. We are also in the process of reworking the Lustre server code to reduce or avoid the need to patch the kernel, though there are still a number of patches to ext4 that are not yet ready for integration. Therefore, i would like to discuss with the Linux filesystem developers what would need to be done to include Lustre into the upstream kernel.

Thanks,
Johann

Johann Lombardi
Johann has been a Lustre developer and technical lead of the Lustre support team for the past 4 years. He has been involved in other Linux kernel development and support since 2003, working with Bull, Cluster Filesystems, Sun, Oracle and soon Whamcloud.