Re: Atomic file data replace API

On 12/28/2010 05:25 PM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Ric Wheeler<rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I really think that you have missed the point of this list.

This list is for either developers (those who have downloaded the free code
and work on it) or others who want to move things forward concretely.
Maybe.

Perfectly fine to contribute ideas, but if you are not a coder or do not
have the time or inclination to work on things yourself, you have to be
*really* convincing.

We continually get bombarded with ideas, wish list items, etc so we are not
lacking in work to do.
I understand.

If you cannot explain the use case, you will not get any buy in...
I assumed that preserving file owner would be a normal feature and
would not require additional explanation.
One use case would be updating a file in a save way when you have
write access to that file but not to anything else.

Also, according to Ted, a lot of app devs get saving a file in a safe
way wrong. So I'm asking what the recommended way to do it is. Is that
strange?

Olaf

I think that various developers have answered this for you several times.

As a suggestion, if you are not a kernel developer, show us specifically a bit of application code that demonstrates something that you want to have work differently.

Test it with power failure (buy an external e-sata or USB disk and pull power while running your app).

Ric