Re: remove_suid bangs on xattrs

Quoting Andrew G. Morgan (morgan@xxxxxxxxxx):
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
> <serge.hallyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Quoting Chris Mason (chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx):
> >> [ sorry, corrected cc list ]
> >
> > Thanks - sorry for the inconvenience.  I'm also cc:ing Andrew Morgan
> > for another opinion.

> > (but only if not capable(CAP_FSETID))
>
> I disagree. I think the relevant capability test should be with
> respect to CAP_SETFCAP.
>
> Since this is the capability that allows you to put a capability on a
> file, it should be the one to retain it if the file is modified.

I'm ok with that.

> > (not really - security_inode_need_killpriv() shoudl return <0 only if
> > there was an actual error, and the write needs to be cancelled altogether.
> > It returns 0 if privs don't need to be removed, and >0 if they do.

> > If I'm thinking right, I think the key change we should make is to have
> > CAP_FSETID be honored for maintaining file capabilities.
> >
> > That would have two (good) results:
> >
> > 1. we should be able to re-arrange the code to check for CAP_FSETID
> > before bothering to check for file capabilities, so we can save the
> > getxattrs which I assume were what you were finding?  Even if it
> > wasn't the cause of your performance regression, it should be an
> > improvement.
> >
> > 2. I think it can be seen as a semantic fix.  We mostly try to
> > respect suid behavior for file caps, so it will be more consistent
> > to honor CAP_FSETID for file capabilities.
> >
> > Andrew, what do you think?
> >

> I think the test should be with respect to CAP_SETFCAP, but I agree
> with the rest of your comments.

I also point out, with some shame, that on first reading Chris' email,
I had to look at that code more than I should have needed to to recall
the details.  So I think the function could stand some cleaning up/
simplifying.

I'll try to take a look at this next week.

> Lots of small writes to 'any' file also tends to bang on this code.
> I've been wondering if it might make sense to cache, in the inode,
> that a file does *not* have any capabilities associated with it. That
> way the kernel wouldn't need to look up the xattrs twice for the same
> incapable file - which is, by far, the common case.

That could also be shared with a new (old) optional xattr-free
file-backed-filecaps mount option :)

thanks,
-serge