Re: [RFC] relaxed barrier semantics

Chris Mason wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 05:11:56PM +0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
>> Chris Mason, on 08/02/2010 09:39 PM wrote:
>>> I regret putting the ordering into the original barrier code...it
>>> definitely did help reiserfs back in the day but it stinks of magic and
>>> voodoo.
>> But if the ordering isn't in the common (block) code, how to
>> implement the "hardware offload" for ordering, i.e. ORDERED
>> commands, in an acceptable way?
>>
>> I believe, the decision was right, but the flags and magic requests
>> based interface (and, hence, implementation) was wrong. That's it
>> which stinks of magic and voodoo.
>
> The interface definitely has flaws.  We didn't expand it because James
> popped up with a long list of error handling problems.  Basically how
> do the hardware and the kernel deal with a failed request at the start
> of the chain.  Somehow the easy way of failing them all turned out to be
> extremely difficult.
>
> Even if that part had been refined, I think trusting the ordering down
> to the lower layers was a doomed idea.  The list of ways it could go
> wrong is much much longer (and harder to debug) than the list of
> benefits.
>
> With all of that said, I did go ahead and benchmark real ordered tags
> extensively on a scsi drive in the initial implementation.  There was
> very little performance difference.

Care to dig it up?
I'd wanted to give it a try, and if someone already did some work in
that area it'll make things easier here.

I still think that implementing ordered tags is the correct way of
doing things, implementation details notwithstanding.

It looks better conceptually than using FUA, and would be easier
from the request-queue side of things.
(Or course, as the entire logic is pushed down to the SCSI layer :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)