Re: [RFC] relaxed barrier semantics

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:07:17PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> > There's lies, damned lies and benchmarks .. but what I was thinking is
> > could we just do the right thing?  SCSI exposes (in sd) the interfaces
> > to change the cache setting, so if the customer *doesn't* specify
> > barriers on mount, could we just flip the device to write through it
> > would be more performant in most use cases.
>
> We could for SCSI and ATA, but probably not easily for other kind of
> storage.  Except that it's not that simple as we have partitions and
> volume managers inbetween - different filesystems sitting on the same
> device might have very different ideas of what they want.
>
> For SCSI we can at least permanently disable the cache, but ATA devices
> keep coming up again with the volatile write cache enabled after a
> reboot, or even worse a suspend to ram / resume cycle.  The latter is
> what keeps me from just disabling the volatile cache on my laptop,
> despite that option giving significanly better performance for typical
> kernel developer workloads.

I have workloads where enabling volatile write cache + barriers is much
faster than disabling the cache.

It is admittedly a 2.4.ancient kernel and PATA on an embedded system,
but still, it's enough of a difference (about 3x speedup for large
file writes) that it was worth porting SuSE's barrier patches to that
kernel so that I could enable the write cache to get a huge speedup
while remaining powerfail safe with ext3.

-- Jamie