Re: [RFC] relaxed barrier semantics

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:19:57AM +0100, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> In case #1, I don't think there is any need to actually issue a flush
> along with the barrier - the fs will always be correct in case of a (for
> example) power failure and it is only the amount of data which might be
> lost which depends on the write cache size. This is basically the same
> for any local filesystem.

For now we're mostly talking about removing the _ordering_ not the
flushing.  Eventually I'd like to relax some of the flushing
requirements, too - but that is secondary priority.

So for now I'm mostly interested if gfs2 relies on the ordering
semantics from barriers.  Given that it's been around for a while
and primarily used on devices without any kind of barriers support
I'm inclined it is, but I'd really prefer to get this from the horses
mouth.

> I have also made the assumption that a barrier issued from one node to
> the shared device will affect I/O from all nodes equally. If that is not
> the case, then the above will not apply and we must always flush in case
> #3.

There is absolutely no ordering vs other nodes.  The volatile write
cache if present is a per-target state so it will be flushed for all
nodes.

> Currently the code is also waiting for I/O to drain in cases #1 and #3
> as well as case #2 since it was simpler to implement all cases the same,
> at least to start with.

Aka gfs2 waits for the I/O completion by itself.  That sounds like it
is the answer to my original question.