Re: what is the point of nr_pages information for the flusher thread?

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:43:16 -0400
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > There's also free_more_memory() and do_try_to_free_pages().
>
> Indeed.  So we still have some special cases that want a specific
> number to be written back globally.

It could be that those two callsites can be changed to NotDoThat.  I do
suggest that you dig through the git record and perhaps the email
archives to work out the thinking - that's old code.

Perhaps we could change things to write back down to the dirty limits,
but that might cause subtle breakage in low-memory situations where
dirty memory is uneven between zones, dunno.

Writing back the whole world would surely be a safe substitute, but
might be inefficient.

I doubt if a whole lot of rigourous thinking went into either one...