Re: [Lsf10-pc] [ATTEND] I'd like to attend ;)

On 06/17/2010 09:46 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Ric Wheeler<rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 03/02/2010 08:37 AM, Jeff Moyer wrote:
Ric Wheeler<rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxx>    writes:

On 03/01/2010 01:07 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

I still need to decide which specific topic to bring/promote, but I'd
certainly
like to attend, as I have in the past.

Generally would like to talk about...

Trim/discard plans in filesystem - lately I'm thinking a batch mechanism
may
be better than trim-as-you-go.

Advancements in generic test infrastructures since last year.

Could talk a bit about the advancements in proper alignment detection&
setup for storage&     filesystems but that's not a very big topic.

Jan's suggestion of some writeback sanity sounds good to me too.

Thanks,
-Eric

I think that all of the above are great topics for this time around.

Specifically, the alignment work has been interesting in that we have
tried to get not just the kernel bits but the entire stack to work
properly.

Both this and the discard work should still be quite topical if we can
get the various storage vendors to evaluate our current upstream bits
in time :-)

As you know, I've been picking away at the discard support from the file
system all the way down to the storage.  I think I should have some good
numbers and guidance come time for the workshop.

I am also interested in discussing all things I/O scheduler.

Oh, and I'd like to attend as well.  ;)

-Jeff

One topic that I think that might be interesting is to talk about how well
we did integrating all of these new features into the stack that cross
IO/FS/scheduler boundaries. In a way, we got ahead of the hardware vendors
with both the discard support and the various topology bits but did manage
to get that supported not just in the kernel but up the tool chain as well.

Might be interesting to see where we ended up, think about next steps and
if/how we would improve on what we have....
I would like attend this year's LSF.

I helped implement and coordinate the development of the I/O Topology
support through the entire storage stack.  My specific contribution
was in DM and LVM2 but I also worked with Martin Petersen and the
developers of the layers above the block layer (partition tools,
filesystems, virtio+qemu).

I'm now looking to implement comprehensive discard support for DM.
There is a need for various discard support changes in the block layer
(and below) so it'd be interesting if we touched on this.  But my hope
is that at least some patches will make their way upstream before LSF
(for 2.6.36 inclusion) -- e.g.: hch's patches to push a discard's
payload allocation down to the LLD (SCSI or ATA).

I'll also be prepared to discuss aspects of DM if there is any interest.

Mike

I think that these are all great topics - getting discard finished for DM will be an important goal for the coming year (especially given the huge surge in SSD devices that really, really can start to use this !!!)

ric