Re: [patch v2] fix truncate inode time modification breakage

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Fuse philosophy is: each operation itself has to update times on files
> > if necessary.  So it basically moves the responsibility to update
> > [amc]time from the VFS into the filesystem.
> >
> > This means the only place fuse is interested in ATTR_ATIME or
> > ATTR_MTIME is for the utime* syscalls.
>
> OK, makes sense. I wonder why you do ATTR_ATIME changes, though,
> rather than just getting those too back from the filesystem?

It does that, through setting S_NOATIME and invalidating attributes
after each op.

> > It also means that fuse always ignores ATTR_CTIME which is never set
> > explicitly.
> >
> > So I believe the current fuse code is correct.
>
> After my patch to pass ATTR_MTIME|ATTR_CTIME from truncate(2), it is
> not (because above won't return false, ie. it will change the mtime
> for truncate).
>
> Why not avoid all mtime updates except MTIME_SET?

Because utimes(NULL) will supply only ATTR_ATIME | ATTR_MTIME.

I guess fuse should do something like this:

	if (valid ^ (ATTR_MTIME | ATTR_CTIME | ATTR_SIZE) == 0)
		valid = ATTR_SIZE;

Thanks,
Miklos