Question about inotify and bind mount.

Hello,

I'm developing a fuse filesystem, which aim is to provide a workspace
to the user to access
all kinds of resources, like local devices (USB, CD) and remote like
SMB shares, FTP and SSH (and Netware..)

This construction is based upon a fusemodule and the automounter.

I'm running against the boundaries of what is possible right now.
I'm trying to make inotify possible with fuse, which is very hard.

The goal is to create a complete chrooted environment for the user,
where the system directories are hidden for the user (aka GoboLInux),
but are still there.

My fs is a lot like a mount --bind.

Now I would like to know how a mount --bind works, especially in respect to
the inotify sub system.

When I create the following directories:

mkdir original
mkdir mount.bind.original

somewhere in my homedirectorie
and do as root:

mount --bind original mount.bind.original

and go to the mount.bind.original with a inotify aware client like Dolphin,

and create a file in original like:

touch original/test123

it will also appear in mount.bind.original (per definition) but more important
Dolphin is also direct aware of this change.

So inotify works with bind mounts.
Can someone explain what happens here exactly.
I'm just trying to understand what's happing, I want to know as much
as possible how inotify works.

Thanks in advance,

Stef Bon