Re: BUG EXT3-fs: fragsize 1024 != blocksize 4096 (unsupported)

On Tue 06-04-10 21:35:09, Oscar Megia wrote:
> Yes, it was a problem with the ATX power supply. I replaced it and now
> is working fine.
>
> I did what you told and I recover my important data but not all fs.
>
> The matter is if you have a hardware fault the ext3 journal fs don't
> preserve your data.
>
> I'm not an expert about the journal ext3 fs but I though is designed
> to preserve data so if the HD has a fault, ext3 must preserve your
> data. If the fault is during updating the main fs it must go to the
> previous main fs. This could happen when there is a power cut.
  Ext3 journal prevents filesystem corruption only in case the power
fails suddently. Also cases like kernel crashes are usually solved by the
journal quite fine. But in situations like flaky power supply where memory
can provide wrong data to disk or disk writes only some data because of
weak voltage, journaling does not help at all. Generally, only good backups
are a solution to bugs in HW...

									Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>