Re: [patch 1/2] fs: cleanup files_lock

, Nick Piggin wrote:
I would like to start sending bits of vfs scalability improvements to
be reviewed and hopefully merged.

I will start with files_lock. Last time this one came up, it was
criticised because some hoped to get rid of files list, and because
it didn't have enough justification of the scalability improvement.

For the first criticism, it isn't any more difficult to rip out if
we are ever able to remove files list. For the second, I have gathered
some statistics and written better justification. Andi I believe is
finding kbuild is becoming limited by files lock on larger systems.

Yes we're seeing files_list lock as the major bottleneck on a 32 CPU Threads
kernel build.

I did a quick review of the patch and it looks good to me.

Acked-by: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-Andi