Re: [HELP] FUSE writeback performance bottleneck

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 1:55 PM Joanne Koong <joannelkoong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 8:35 PM Jingbo Xu <jefflexu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi Jingbo, thanks for sharing your analysis of this.
> > >
> > > Having the temp page copying gated on the conditions you mentioned
> > > above seems a bit brittle to me. My understanding is that the mm code
> > > for when it decides to stall or not stall can change anytime in the
> > > future, in which case that seems like it could automatically break our
> > > precondition assumptions.
> >
> > So this is why PR_IO_FLUSHER is introduced here, which is specifically
> > for user space components playing a role in IO stack, e.g. fuse daemon,
> > tcmu/nbd daemon, etc.  PR_IO_FLUSHER offers guarantee similar to
> > GFP_NOIO, but for user space components.  At least we can rely on the
> > assumption that mm would take PR_IO_FLUSHER into account.
> >
> > The limitation of the PR_IO_FLUSHER approach is that, as pointed by
> > Miklos[1], there may be multiple components or services involved to
> > service the fuse requests, and the kernel side has no effective way to
> > check if all services in the whole chain have set PR_IO_FLUSHER.
> >

> Right, so doesn't that still bring us back to the original problem
> where if we gate this on any of the one conditions being enough to
> bypass needing the temp page, if the conditions change anytime in the
> future in the mm code, then this would automatically open up the
> potential deadlock in fuse as a byproduct? That seems a bit brittle to
> me to have this dependency.

Hi Jingbo,

I had some talks with Josef about this during/after LPC and he came up
with the idea of adding a flag to the 'struct
address_space_operations' to indicate that a folio under writeback
should be skipped during reclaim if it gets to that 3rd case of the
legacy cgroupv1 encountering a folio that has been marked for reclaim.
imo this seems like the most elegant solution and allows us to remove
the temporary folio and rb tree entirely. I sent out a patch for this
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20241011223434.1307300-1-joannelkoong@xxxxxxxxx/
that I cc'ed you on, the benchmarks show roughly a 20% improvement in
throughput for 4k block size writes and a 40% improvement for 1M block
size writes. I'm curious to see if this speeds up writeback for you as
well on the workloads you're running.

Thanks,
Joanne