Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs changes for 6.12-rc1

On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 06:45:55PM GMT, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sept 2024 at 17:17, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, I think all this "how do we cache inodes better" discussion is
> > somehwat glossing over a more important question we need to think
> > about first: do we even need a fully fledged inode cache anymore?
>
> I'd be more than happy to try. I have to admit that it's largely my
> mental picture (ie "inode caches don't really matter"), and why I was
> surprised that the inode locks even show up on benchmarks.
>
> If we just always drop inodes when the refcount goes to zero and never
> have any cached inodes outside of other references, I think most of
> the reasons for the superblock inode list just disappear. Most of the
> heavy lifting has long since been moved to the dentry shrinking.
>
> I'd worry that we have a lot of tuning that depends on the whole inode
> LRU thing (that iirc takes the mapping size etc into account).
>
> But maybe it would be worth trying to make I_DONTCACHE the default,
> with the aim of removing the independent inode lifetimes entirely...

I would be rather surprised if we didn't see regressions for some
workloads but who knows. If we wanted to test this then one easy way
would be to add a FS_INODE_NOCACHE fs_flag and have inode_init_always()
raise I_DONTCACHE based on that. That way we can experiment with this on
a per-fs basis.