Re: [GIT PULL] Fsnotify changes for 6.12-rc1

On Mon, 23 Sept 2024 at 12:13, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sure, the details are in some of the commit messages but you're right I
> should have summarized them in the pull request as well:

So I really only looked at the parts I know - the VM side, and
honestly, I threw up in my mouth a bit there.

Do we really want to call that horrific fsnotify path for the case
where we already have the page cached? This is a fairly critical
fastpath, and not giving out page cache pages means that now you are
literally violating mmap coherency.

If the aim is to fill in caches on first access, then if we already
have a page cache page, it's by definition not first access any more!

So I *really* don't like the VM side of this. That's what then made me
go look for permission code, and since I don't know the fsnotify code
very well, I didn't find it.

               Linus