[no subject]

I'm not opposed to seeing better support for struct filename, I think
in a lot of cases that would make things easier for audit (especially
where I would like to take audit ... eventually).  Assuming your ideas
for struct filename don't significantly break audit you can consider
me supportive so long as we still have a way to take a struct filename
reference inside the audit_context; we need to keep that ref until
syscall/io_uring-op exit time as we can't be certain if we need to log
the PATH until we know the success/fail status of the operation (among
other things).

> And having everything that passed through getname()/getname_kernel()
> shoved into ->names_list leads to very odd behaviour, especially with
> audit_names conversions in audit_inode()/audit_inode_child().
>
> Look at the handling of AUDIT_DEV{MAJOR,MINOR} or AUDIT_OBJ_{UID,GID}
> or AUDIT_COMPARE_..._TO_OBJ; should they really apply to audit_names
> resulting from copying the symlink body into the kernel?  And if they
> should be applied to audit_names instance that had never been associated
> with any inode, should that depend upon the string in those being
> equal to another argument of the same syscall?
>
> I'm going through the kernel/auditsc.c right now, but it's more of
> a "document what it does" - I don't have the specs and I certainly
> don't remember such details.

My approach to audit is "do what makes sense for a normal person", if
somebody needs silly behavior to satisfy some security cert then they
can get involved in upstream development and send me patches that
don't suck.

--
paul-moore.com