Re: [RFC] struct filename, io_uring and audit troubles

On Mon, Sep 23, 2024 at 10:48 AM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2024 at 08:54:03AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> > [Sorry for the delay, between flying back home, and just not wanting
> > to think about the kernel for a day, I took the weekend "off".]
> >
> > Jens and I have talked about similar issues in the past, and I think
> > the only real solution to ensure the correctness of the audit records
> > and provide some consistency between the io_uring approach and
> > traditional syscalls, is to introduce a mechanism where we
> > create/clone an audit_context in the io_uring prep stage to capture
> > things like PATH records, stash that audit_context in the io_kiocb
> > struct, and then restore it later when io_uring does/finishes the
> > operation.  I'm reasonably confident that we don't need to do it for
> > all of the io_uring ops, just the !audit_skip case.
> >
> > I'm always open to ideas, but everything else I can think of is either
> > far too op-specific to be maintainable long term, a performance
> > nightmare, or just plain wrong with respect to the audit records.
> >
> > I keep hoping to have some time to code it up properly, but so far
> > this year has been an exercise in "I'll just put this fire over here
> > with the other fire".  Believe it or not, this is at the top of my
> > TODO list, perhaps this week I can dedicate some time to this.
>
> What are the requirements regarding the order of audit_names in
> the ->names_list?

Uncertain.  As things currently stand there isn't really an explicit
ordering between the PATH records and the syscall, there is the
implicit order in which the PATH records appear in the event, but I
don't know that I would read too much into that.