Re: Known and unfixed active data loss bug in MM + XFS with large folios since Dec 2021 (any kernel from 6.1 upwards)

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 02:11:22PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> So this issue it new to me as well. One of the items this cycle is the
> work to enable support for block sizes that are larger than page sizes
> via the large block size (LBS) series that's been sitting in -next for a
> long time. That work specifically targets xfs and builds on top of the
> large folio support.
>
> If the support for large folios is going to be reverted in xfs then I
> see no point to merge the LBS work now. So I'm holding off on sending
> that pull request until a decision is made (for xfs). As far as I
> understand, supporting larger block sizes will not be meaningful without
> large folio support.

This is unwarranted; please send this pull request.  We're not going to
rip out all of the infrastructure although we might end up disabling it
by default.  There's a bunch of other work queued up behind that, and not
having it in Linus' tree is just going to make everything more painful.