Re: Fallthrus as full-length symlinks?

In message <20091117194300.GD17822@shell>, Valerie Aurora writes:
[...]
> That's my feeling too.  I don't see anyway to cleanly implement
> fallthrus (or whiteouts) without explicit support from the file system
> on the writable layer.  Fortunately it doesn't take much support.
>
> -VAL

So, if understood you right, these symlinks are an optimization to simplify
and improve the performance of rename()s in r-o layers.  Ok.

And, people prefer to avoid self-referencing symlinks so as to prevent
breaking some userland code that might depend on it.

But, this does *not* then eliminate the need to have whiteouts supported in
every major f/s that can serve as the writeable layer, right?  You still
need those.

BTW, we might try to figure out a way to use these symlinks to optimize any
copyup that's not strictly necessary.  A rename() doesn't change the file's
data, hence this symlink idea is suitable.  But also, there are other
meta-data changes to a file which don't affect its data (chmod, chown,
chgrp, etc.), for which a symlink would be suitable.  This would require
that we could easily change the meta-data of the symlink itself, and return
*that* metadata in the upper inode, while using the lower file's data for
read().

Erez.