Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs fixes for 6.11-rc5

On Sat, Aug 24, 2024 at 10:40:33AM GMT, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2024 at 10:35, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > What is to be gained by having release rules and a stable development
> > environment? I wonder.
>
> But seriously - thinking that "I changed a thousand lines, there's no
> way that introduces new bugs" is the kind of thinking that I DO NOT
> WANT TO HEAR from a maintainer.
>
> What planet ARE you from? Stop being obtuse.

Heh.

No, I can't write 1000 lines of bug free code (I think when I was
younger I pulled it off a few times...).

But I do have really good automated testing (I put everything through
lockdep, kasan, ubsan, and other variants now), and a bunch of testers
willing to run my git branches on their crazy (and huge) filesystems.

And enough experience to know when code is likely to be solid and when I
should hold back on it.

Are you seeing a ton of crazy last minute fixes for regressions in my
pull requests? No, there's a few fixes for recent regressions here and
there, but nothing that would cause major regrets. The worst in terms of
needing last minute fixes was the member info btree bitmap stuff, and
the superblock downgrade section... but those we did legitimately need.