Re: [RFC net-next 0/5] Suspend IRQs during preferred busy poll

On 08/12, Martin Karsten wrote:
> On 2024-08-12 19:03, Stanislav Fomichev wrote:

> > > Thank you!
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > gro-flush-timeout (in combination with defer-hard-irqs) is the default irq
> > > deferral mechanism and as such, always active when configured. Its static
> > > periodic softirq processing leads to a situation where:
> > >
> > > - A long gro-flush-timeout causes high latencies when load is sufficiently
> > > below capacity, or
> > >
> > > - a short gro-flush-timeout causes overhead when softirq execution
> > > asynchronously competes with application processing at high load.
> > >
> > > The shortcomings of this are documented (to some extent) by our experiments.
> > > See defer20 working well at low load, but having problems at high load,
> > > while defer200 having higher latency at low load.
> > >
> > > irq-suspend-timeout is only active when an application uses
> > > prefer-busy-polling and in that case, produces a nice alternating pattern of
> > > application processing and networking processing (similar to what we
> > > describe in the paper). This then works well with both low and high load.
> >
> > So you only want it for the prefer-busy-pollingc case, makes sense. I was
> > a bit confused by the difference between defer200 and suspend200,
> > but now I see that defer200 does not enable busypoll.
> >
> > I'm assuming that if you enable busypool in defer200 case, the numbers
> > should be similar to suspend200 (ignoring potentially affecting
> > non-busypolling queues due to higher gro_flush_timeout).
>
> defer200 + napi busy poll is essentially what we labelled "busy" and it does
> not perform as well, since it still suffers interference between application
> and softirq processing.

With all your patches applied? Why? Userspace not keeping up?

> > > There are essentially three possible loops for network processing:
> > >
> > > 1) hardirq -> softirq -> napi poll; this is the baseline functionality
> > >
> > > 2) timer -> softirq -> napi poll; this is deferred irq processing scheme
> > > with the shortcomings described above
> > >
> > > 3) epoll -> busy-poll -> napi poll
> > >
> > > If a system is configured for 1), not much can be done, as it is difficult
> > > to interject anything into this loop without adding state and side effects.
> > > This is what we tried for the paper, but it ended up being a hack.
> > >
> > > If however the system is configured for irq deferral, Loops 2) and 3)
> > > "wrestle" with each other for control. Injecting the larger
> > > irq-suspend-timeout for 'timer' in Loop 2) essentially tilts this in favour
> > > of Loop 3) and creates the nice pattern describe above.
> >
> > And you hit (2) when the epoll goes to sleep and/or when the userspace
> > isn't fast enough to keep up with the timer, presumably? I wonder
> > if need to use this opportunity and do proper API as Joe hints in the
> > cover letter. Something over netlink to say "I'm gonna busy-poll on
> > this queue / napi_id and with this timeout". And then we can essentially make
> > gro_flush_timeout per queue (and avoid
> > napi_resume_irqs/napi_suspend_irqs). Existing gro_flush_timeout feels
> > too hacky already :-(
>
> If someone would implement the necessary changes to make these parameters
> per-napi, this would improve things further, but note that the current
> proposal gives strong performance across a range of workloads, which is
> otherwise difficult to impossible to achieve.

Let's see what other people have to say. But we tried to do a similar
setup at Google recently and getting all these parameters right
was not trivial. Joe's recent patch series to push some of these into
epoll context are a step in the right direction. It would be nice to
have more explicit interface to express busy poling preference for
the users vs chasing a bunch of global tunables and fighting against softirq
wakups.

> Note that napi_suspend_irqs/napi_resume_irqs is needed even for the sake of
> an individual queue or application to make sure that IRQ suspension is
> enabled/disabled right away when the state of the system changes from busy
> to idle and back.

Can we not handle everything in napi_busy_loop? If we can mark some napi
contexts as "explicitly polled by userspace with a larger defer timeout",
we should be able to do better compared to current NAPI_F_PREFER_BUSY_POLL
which is more like "this particular napi_poll call is user busy polling".

> > > [snip]

> > > Before this patch set, ep_poll only calls napi_busy_poll, if busy_poll
> > > (sysctl) or busy_poll_usecs is nonzero. However, this might lead to
> > > busy-polling even when the application does not actually need or want it.
> > > Only one iteration through the busy loop is needed to make the new scheme
> > > work. Additional napi busy polling over and above is optional.
> >
> > Ack, thanks, was trying to understand why not stay with
> > busy_poll_usecs=64 for consistency. But I guess you were just
> > trying to show that patch 4/5 works.
>
> Right, and we would potentially be wasting CPU cycles by adding more
> busy-looping.

Or potentially improving the latency more if you happen to get more packets
during busy_poll_usecs duration? I'd imagine some applications might
prefer to 100% busy poll without ever going to sleep (that would probably
require getting rid of napi_id tracking in epoll, but that's a different story).