Re: passthrough question

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 at 09:12, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not fh value per-se but a backing id, allocated and attached to fuse inode
> on LOOKUP reply, which sticks with this inode until evict/forget.
> OPEN replies on this sort of inode would have to either explicitly state
> FOPEN_PASSTHROUGH or we can allow the kernel to imply passthrough
> mode open in this case. Not sure.

Hmm, maybe allowing a zero  backing_id to mean "use current backing
inode" would be sane.  And if there's no current backing for the
inode, and a zero backing ID is given then it would just return
-ENOENT or something.

I wouldn't change anything else, so FOPEN_PASSTHROUGH would still need
to be given and all the other states would work.  The only difference
would be that LOOKUP would allow setting up a backing path (need to
think about naming, because all these backing somethings are a bit
confusing).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Miklos