Re: [GIT PULL] security changes for v6.9-rc3

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 14:00, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         1) location of that hook is wrong.  It's really "how do we catch
> file creation that does not come through open() - yes, you can use
> mknod(2) for that".  It should've been after the call of vfs_create(),
> not the entire switch.  LSM folks have a disturbing fondness of inserting
> hooks in various places, but IMO this one has no business being where
> they'd placed it.  Bikeshedding regarding the name/arguments/etc. for
> that thing is, IMO, not interesting...

Hmm. I guess that's right - for a non-file node, there's nothing that
the security layer can really check after-the-fact anyway.

It's not like you can attest the contents of a character device or whatever...

>         2) the only ->mknod() instance in the tree that tries to leave
> dentry unhashed negative on success is CIFS (and only one case in it).
> From conversation with CIFS folks it's actually cheaper to instantiate
> in that case as well - leaving instantiation to the next lookup will
> cost several extra roundtrips for no good reason.

Ack.

>         3) documentation (in vfs.rst) is way too vague.  The actual
> rules are
>         * ->create() must instantiate on success
>         * ->mkdir() is allowed to return unhashed negative on success and
> it might be forced to do so in some cases.  If a caller of vfs_mkdir()
> wants the damn thing positive, it should account for such possibility and do
> a lookup.  Normal callers don't care; see e.g. nfsd and overlayfs for example
> of those that do.
>         * ->mknod() is interesting - historically it had been "may leave
> unhashed negative", but e.g. unix_bind() expected that it won't do so;
> the reason it didn't blow up for CIFS is that this case (SFU) of their mknod()
> does not support FIFOs and sockets anyway.  Considering how few instances
> try to make use of that option and how it doesn't actually save them
> anything, I would prefer to declare that ->mknod() should act as ->create().
>         * ->symlink() - not sure; there are instances that make use of that
> option (coda and hostfs).  OTOH, the only callers of vfs_symlink() that
> care either way are nfsd and overlayfs, and neither is usable with coda
> or hostfs...  Could go either way, but we need to say it clearly in the
> docs, whichever way we choose.

Fair enough.

Anyway, it does sound like maybe the minimal fix would be just that
"move it into the
                case 0: case S_IFREG:
path".

Although if somebody already has the cifs patch to just do the
d_instantiate() for mknod, that might be even better.

I will leave this in more competent hands for now.

Let the bike-shedding commence,

               Linus