Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF ATTEND][LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Meta/Integrity/PI improvements

Martin, Kanchan,

> Kanchan,
>
> > - Generic user interface that user-space can use to exchange meta.
> > new io_uring opcode IORING_OP_READ/WRITE_META - seems feasible for
> > direct IO.
>
> Yep. I'm interested in this too. Reviving this effort is near the top
> of
> my todo list so I'm happy to collaborate.
If we are going to have a interface to exchange meta/integrity to user-
space, we could also have a interface in kernel to do the same?

It would be useful for some network filesystem/block device drivers
like nbd/drbd/NVMe-oF to use blk-integrity as network checksum, and the
same checksum covers the I/O on the server as well.

The integrity can be generated on the client and send over network,
on server blk-integrity can just offload to storage.
Verify follows the same principle: on server blk-integrity gets
the PI from storage using the interface, and send over network,
on client we can do the usual verify.

In the past we tried to achieve this, there's patch to add optional
generate/verify functions and they take priority over the ones from the
integrity profile, and the optional generate/verify functions does the
meta/PI exchange, but that didn't get traction. It would be much better
if we can have an bio interface for this.

Cheers
Dongyang