'Subset' Hard Links

Hello,

I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask such a question, and google is useless as I have no unique keywords. I am wondering if it is possible with some/any filesystems to have multiple hard links to a file, some of which only point to a subset of the file's data.

Eg:
firstname -> all data bytes 1 to 10
secondname -> bytes 3 to 10
thirdname -> bytes 5 to 7

This would clearly require some interesting locking of the file WRT writes, but it seems like it should be possible, and even easy for read-only access. I deal with moderately large data files (50+GB), and such a thing would be incredibly useful to me for pulling out interesting bits of my data without having to make copies of the data itself.

A related method I was wishing existed would allow concatenation of files simply by deleting all but one hard link, and changing the remaining one to point to all of the original files' data as fragments. This would be great, as 'cat'ing together six 10GB files is pretty slow, and it seems silly to be copying all of that data around when I only need one actual instance of the full data on disk, and that instance already exists, albeit in a fragmented manner.

Do any tools for doing this sort of thing exist?

Thanks,
Micah Dombrowski
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Dartmouth College