Re: ZONE_DEVICE refcounting

Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 11:01:25AM +1100, Alistair Popple wrote:
>>
>> Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > What do you mean outside of fs/dax, do you literally mean outside of
>> > fs/dax.c, or the devdax case (i.e. dax without fs-entanglements)?
>>
>> Only the cases fs dax pages might need it. ie. Not devdax which I
>> haven't looked at closely yet.
>>
>> > Memory
>> > failure needs ->mapping and ->index to rmap dax pages. See
>> > mm/memory-failure.c::__add_to_kill() and
>> > mm/memory-failure.c::__add_to_kill_fsdax() where that latter one is for
>> > cases where the fs needs has signed up to react to dax page failure.
>>
>> How does that work for reflink/shared pages which overwrite
>> page->mapping and page->index?
>
> Via reverse mapping in the *filesystem*, not the mm rmap stuff.
>
> pmem_pagemap_memory_failure()
>   dax_holder_notify_failure()
>     .notify_failure()
>       xfs_dax_notify_failure()
>         xfs_dax_notify_ddev_failure()
> 	  xfs_rmap_query_range(xfs_dax_failure_fn)
> 	     xfs_dax_failure_fn(rmap record)
> 	       <grabs inode from cache>
> 	       <converts range to file offset>
> 	       mf_dax_kill_procs(inode->mapping, pgoff)
> 	         collect_procs_fsdax(mapping, page)
> 		   add_to_kill_fsdax(task)
> 		     __add_to_kill(task)
> 		 unmap_and_kill_tasks()
>
> Remember: in FSDAX, the pages are the storage media physically owned
> by the filesystem, not the mm subsystem. Hence answering questions
> like "who owns this page" can only be answered correctly by asking
> the filesystem.

Thanks Dave for writing that up, it really helped solidify my
understanding of how this is all supposed to work.

> We shortcut that for pages that only have one owner - we just store
> the owner information in the page as a {mapping, offset} tuple. But
> when we have multiple owners, the only way to find all the {mapping,
> offset} tuples is to ask the filesystem to find all the owners of
> that page.
>
> Hence the special case values for page->mapping/page->index for
> pages over shared filesystem extents. These shared extents are
> communicated to the fsdax layer via the IOMAP_F_SHARED flag
> in the iomaps returned by the filesystem. This flag is the trigger
> for the special mapping share count behaviour to be used. e.g. see
> dax_insert_entry(iomap_iter) -> dax_associate_entry(shared) ->
> dax_page_share_get()....
>
>> Eg. in __add_to_kill() if *p is a shared fs
>> dax page then p->mapping == PAGE_MAPPING_DAX_SHARED and
>> page_address_in_vma(vma, p) will probably crash.
>
> As per above, we don't get the mapping from the page in those cases.

Yep, that all makes sense and I see where I was getting confsued. It was
because in __add_to_kill() we do actually use page->mapping when
page_address_in_vma(vma, p) is called. And because
folio_test_anon(page_folio(p)) is also true for shared FS DAX pages
(p->mapping == PAGE_MAPPING_DAX_SHARED/PAGE_MAPPING_DAX_SHARED) I
thought things would go bad there.

However after re-reading the page_address_in_vma() implementation I
noticed that isn't the case, because folio_anon_vma(page_folio(p)) will
still return NULL which was the detail I had missed.

So to go back to my original point it seems page->mapping and
page->index is largely unused on fs dax pages, even for memory
failure. Because for memory failure the mapping and fsdax_pgoff comes
from the filesystem not the page.