Re: [syzbot] [hfs] general protection fault in tomoyo_check_acl (3)

Hi Aleksandr,

On Thu 14-03-24 17:21:30, Aleksandr Nogikh wrote:
> Yes, the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_WRITE_MOUNTED=n change did indeed break our C
> executor code (and therefore our C reproducers). I posted a fix[1]
> soon afterwards, but the problem is that syzbot will keep on using old
> reproducers for old bugs. Syzkaller descriptions change over time, so
> during bisection and patch testing we have to use the exact syzkaller
> revision that detected the original bug. All older syzkaller revisions
> now neither find nor reproduce fs bugs on newer Linux kernel revisions
> with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_WRITE_MOUNTED=n.

I see, thanks for explanation!

> If the stream of such bisection results is already bothering you and
> other fs people, a very quick fix could be to ban this commit from the
> possible bisection results (it's just a one line change in the syzbot
> config). Then such bugs would just get gradually obsoleted by syzbot
> without any noise.

It isn't bothering me as such but it results in
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_WRITE_MOUNTED=n breaking all fs-related reproducers and thus
making it difficult to evaluate whether the reproducer was somehow
corrupting the fs image or not. Practically it means closing most
fs-related syzbot bugs and (somewhat needlessly) starting over from scratch
with search for reproducers. I'm OK with that although it is a bit
unfortunate... But I'm pretty sure within a few months syzbot will deliver
a healthy portion of new issues :)

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>