Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Large folios, swap and fscache

Hi Matthew,

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 6:29 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 09:09:49AM +0000, David Howells wrote:
> > The topic came up in a recent discussion about how to deal with large folios
> > when it comes to swap as a swap device is normally considered a simple array
> > of PAGE_SIZE-sized elements that can be indexed by a single integer.
> >
> > With the advent of large folios, however, we might need to change this in
> > order to be better able to swap out a compound page efficiently.  Swap
> > fragmentation raises its head, as does the need to potentially save multiple
> > indices per folio.  Does swap need to grow more filesystem features?
>
> I didn't mention this during the meeting, but there are more reasons
> to do something like this.  For example, even with large folios, it
> doesn't make sense to drive writing to swap on a per-folio basis.  We
> should be writing out large chunks of virtual address space in a single
> write to the swap device, just like we do large chunks of files in
> ->writepages.

I have thought about your proposal after the THP meeting. One
observation is that the swap write and swap read has some asymmetries.
For swap read, you always know which vma you are reading into.
However, the swap write that is based on the LRU list,
(shrink_folio_list) does not have the vma information in hand.
Actually the same folio might map by two different processes. It would
need to do the rmap walk to find out the VMA. So organizing the swap
write around VMA mapping is not convenient for the LRU reclaim write
back case.

Chris