Re: [RFC] documentation on filesystem exposure to RCU pathwalk from fs maintainers' POV

Hi Al,

Just some editing suggestions below...

On 2/25/24 14:06, Al Viro wrote:
> [...]
> do not come for free.  The problem is that access patterns are heavily
> biased; every system call getting an absolute pathname will have to
> start at root directory, etc.  Having each of them in effect write
> "I'd been here" on the same memory objects would cost quite a bit.
> As the result, we try to keep the fast path stores-free, bumping
> no refcounts and taking no locks.  Details are described elsewhere,
> but the bottom line for filesystems is that some methods may be called
> with much looser warranties than usual.  Of course, from the filesystem
> POV each of those is a potential source of headache - you are asked to
> operate on an object that might start to be torn down right under you,
> possibly along with the filesystem instance it lives on.
>
> The last possibility might sound surprising, but a lazy pathwalk really
> can run into a dentry on a filesystem that is getting shut down.
>
> Here's one of the scenarios for that to happen:
>
> 	1. have two threads sharing fs_struct chdir'ed on that filesystem.
> 	2. lazy-umount it, so that the only thing holding it alive is
> 	   cwd of these threads.
> 	3. the first thread does relative pathname resolution
> 	   and gets to e.g. ->d_hash().  It's holding rcu_read_lock().
> 	4. at the same time the second thread does fchdir(), moving to
> 	   different directory.
>
> In fchdir(2) we get to set_fs_pwd(), which set the current directory
> to the new place and does mntput() on the old one.  No RCU delays here,
> we calculate the refcount of that mount and see that we are dropping
> the last reference.  We make sure that the pathwalk in progress in
> the first thread will fail when it comes to legitimize_mnt() and do this
> (in mntput_no_expire())::
>
> 	init_task_work(&mnt->mnt_rcu, __cleanup_mnt);
> 	if (!task_work_add(task, &mnt->mnt_rcu, TWA_RESUME))
> 		return;
>
> As we leave the syscall, we have __cleanup_mnt() run; it calls cleanup_mnt()
> on our mount, which hits deactivate_super().  That was the last reference to
> superblock.
>
> Voila - we have a filesystem shutdown right under the nose of a thread
> running in ->d_hash() of something on that filesystem.  Mutatis mutandis,
> one can arrange the same for other methods called by rcu pathwalk.
>
> It's not easy to hit (especially if you want to get through the
> entire ->kill_sb() before the first thread gets through ->d_hash()),
> and it's probably impossible on the real hardware; on KVM it might be
> borderline doable.  However, it is possible and I would not swear that
> other ways of arranging the same thing are equally hard to hit.
>
> The bottom line: methods that can be called in RCU mode need to
> be careful about the per-superblock objects destruction.
>

> Opting out
> ==========
>
> To large extent a filesystem can opt out of RCU pathwalk; that loses all
> scalability benefits whenever you filesystem gets involved in pathname

                                your

> resolution, though.  If that's the way you choose to go, just make sure
> that
>
> 1. any ->d_revalidate(), ->permission(), ->get_link() and ->get_inode_acl()
> instance bails out if called by RCU pathwalk (see below for details).
> Costs a couple of lines of boilerplate in each.
>
> 2. if some symlink inodes have ->i_link set to a dynamically allocated
> object, that object won't be freed without an RCU delay.  Anything
> coallocated with inode is fine, so's anything freed from ->free_inode().
> Usually comes for free, just remember to avoid freeing directly
> from ->destroy_inode().
>
> 3. any ->d_hash() and ->d_compare() instances (if you have those) do
> not access any filesystem objects.
>
> 4. there's no ->d_automount() instances in your filesystem.
>
> If your case does not fit the above, the easy opt-out is not for you.
> If so, you'll have to keep reading...
>

> What methods are affected?
> ==========================
>
> 	The list of the methods that could run into that fun:
>
> ========================	==================================	=================
> 	method			indication that the call is unsafe	unstable objects
> ========================	==================================	=================
> ->d_hash(d, ...) 		none - any call might be		d
> ->d_compare(d, ...)		none - any call might be		d
> ->d_revalidate(d, f)		f & LOOKUP_RCU				d
> ->d_manage(d, f)		f					d
> ->permission(i, m)		m & MAY_NOT_BLOCK			i
> ->get_link(d, i, ...)		d == NULL				i
> ->get_inode_acl(i, t, f)	f == LOOKUP_RCU				i
> ========================	==================================	=================
>

> Additionally, callback set by set_delayed_call() from unsafe call of
> ->get_link() will be run in the same environment; that one is usually not
> a problem, though.
>
> For the sake of completeness, three of LSM methods
> (->inode_permission(), ->inode_follow_link() and ->task_to_inode())
> might be called in similar environment, but that's a problem for LSM
> crowd, not for filesystem folks.
>

> Any method call is, of course, required not to crash - no stepping on
> freed memory, etc.  All of the unsafe calls listed above are done under
> rcu_read_lock(), so they are not allowed to block.  Further requirements
> vary between the methods.
>

> Before going through the list of affected methods, several notes on
> the things that _are_ guaranteed:
>
> * if a reference to struct dentry is passed to such call, it will
>   not be freed until the method returns.  The same goes for a reference to
>   struct inode and to struct super_block pointed to by ->d_sb or ->i_sb
>   members of dentry and inode resp.  Any of those might be in process of

please spell out                respectively.

> [...]
>   you go.  Normally such pathologies are prevented by the locking (and
>   dentry refcounting), but... the entire point of that stuff is to avoid
>   informing anyone that we are there, so those mechanisms are bypassed.
>   What's more, if dentry is not pinned by refcount, grabbing its ->d_lock
>   will *not* suffice to prevent that kind of mess - the scenario with
>   eviction by memory pressure won't be prevented by that; you might have
>   grabbed ->d_lock only after the dentry_kill() had released it, and
>   at that point ->d_parent still points to what used to be the parent,
>   but there's nothing to prevent its eviction.
>

> ->d_compare()
> -------------
>
> For ->d_compare() we just need to make sure it won't crash
> when called for dying dentry - an incorrect return value won't harm the
> caller in such case.  False positives and false negatives alike - the
> callers take care of that.  To be pedantic, make that "false positives
> do not cause problems unless they have ->d_manage()", but ->d_manage()
> is present only on autofs and there's no autofs ->d_compare() instances.
> [#f1]_
>
> There is no indication that ->d_compare() is called in RCU mode;
> the majority of callers are such, anyway, so we need to cope with that.
> VFS guarantees that dentry won't be freed under us; the same goes for
> the superblock pointed to by its ->d_sb.  Name points to memory object
> that won't get freed under us and length does not exceed the size of
> that object.  The contents of that object is *NOT* guaranteed to be
> stable; d_move() might race with us, modifying the name.  However, in
> that case we are free to return an arbitrary result - the callers will
> take care of both false positives and false negatives in such case.
> The name we are comparing dentry with (passed in qstr) is stable,
> thankfully...
>
> If we need to access any other data, it's up to the filesystem
> to protect it.  In practice it means that destruction of fs-private part
> of superblock (and possibly unicode tables hanging off it, etc.) might
> need to be RCU-delayed.
>
> *IF* you want the behaviour that varies depending upon the parent
> directory, you get to be very careful with READ_ONCE() and watch out
> for the object lifetimes.
>
> Basically, if the things get that tricky, ask for help.
> Currently there are two such instances in the tree - proc_sys_compare()
> and generic_ci_d_compare().  Both are... special.
>

> ->d_hash()
> ----------
>
> For ->d_hash() on a dying dentry we are free to report any hash
> value; the only extra requirement is that we should not return stray
> hard errors.  In other words, if we return anything other than 0 or
> -ECHILD, we'd better make sure that this error would've been correct
> before the parent started dying.  Since ->d_hash() error-reporting is

no hyphen IMO                                             ^

> usually done to reject unacceptable names (too long, contain unsuitable
> characters for this filesystem, etc.), that's really not a problem -
> hard errors depend only upon the name, not the parent.
>
> Again, VFS guarantees that freeing of dentry and of the superblock
> pointed to by dentry->d_sb won't happen under us.  The name passed to
> us (in qstr) is stable.  If you need anything beyond that, you are
> in the same situation as with ->d_compare().  Might want to RCU-delay
> freeing private part of superblock (if that's what we need to access),
> might want the same for some objects hanging off that (unicode tables,
> etc.).  If you need something beyond that - ask for help.
>

> ->d_revalidate()
> ----------------
>
> For this one we do have an indication of call being unsafe -
> flags & LOOKUP_RCU.  With ->d_revalidate we are always allowed to bail
> out and return -ECHILD; that will have the caller drop out of RCU mode.
> We definitely need to do that if revalidate would require any kind of IO,
> mutex-taking, etc.; we can't block in RCU mode.
>
> Quite a few instances of ->d_revalidate() simply treat LOOKUP_RCU
> in flags as "return -ECHILD and be done with that"; it's guaranteed to
> do the right thing, but you lose the benefits of RCU pathwalks whenever
> you run into such dentry.
>
> Same as with the previous methods, we are guaranteed that
> dentry and dentry->d_sb won't be freed under us.  We are also guaranteed
> that ->d_parent (which is *not* stable, so use READ_ONCE) points to a
> struct dentry that won't get freed under us.  As always with ->d_parent,
> it's not NULL - for a detached dentry it will point to dentry itself.
> d_inode_rcu() of dentry and its parent will be either NULL or will
> point to a struct inode that won't get freed under us.	Anything beyond

s/tab/space/

> than that is not guaranteed.  We may find parent to be negative - it can
> happen if we race with d_move() and removal of old parent.  In that case
> just return -ECHILD and be done with that.
>
> On non-RCU side you could use dget_parent() instead - that
> would give a positive dentry and its ->d_inode would remain stable.
> dget_parent() has to be paired with dput(), though, so it's not usable
> in RCU mode.
>
> If you need fs-private objects associated with dentry, its parent
> inode(s) or superblock - see the general notes above on how to access
> those.
>

> ->d_manage()
> ------------
>
> Can be called in RCU mode; gets an argument telling it if it has
> been called so.  Pretty much autofs-only; for everyone's sanity sake,
> don't inflict more of those on the kernel.  Definitely don't do that
> without asking first...
>

> ->permission()
> --------------
>
> Can be called in RCU mode; that is indicated by MAY_NOT_BLOCK
> in mask, and it can only happen for MAY_EXEC checks on directories.
> In RCU mode it is not allowed to block, and it is allowed to bail out
> by returning -ECHILD.  It might be called for an inode that is getting
> torn down, possibly along with its filesystem.	Errors other than -ECHILD

s/tab/space/

> should only be returned if they would've been returned in non-RCU mode;
> several instances in procfs currently (6.5) run afoul of that one.  That's
> an instructive example, BTW - what happens is that proc_pid_permission()
> uses proc_get_task() to find the relevant process.  proc_get_task()
> uses PID reference stored in struct proc_inode our inode is embedded
> into; inode can't have been freed yet, so fetching ->pid member in that
> is safe.  However, using the value you've fetched is a different story
> - proc_evict_inode() would have passed it to put_pid() and replaced
> it with NULL.  Unsafe caller has no way to tell if that is happening
> right under it.  Solution: stop zeroing ->pid in proc_evict_inode()
> and move put_pid() from proc_pid_evict_inode() to proc_free_inode().
> That's not all that is needed (there's access to procfs-private part of
> superblock as well), but it does make a good example of how such stuff
> can be dealt with.
>
> Note that idmap argument is safe on all calls - its destruction
> is rcu-delayed.
>
> The amount of headache is seriously reduced (for now) by the fact
> that a lot of instances boil down to generic_permission() (which will
> do the right thing in RCU mode) when mask is MAY_EXEC | MAY_NOT_BLOCK.
> If we ever extend RCU mode to other ->permission() callers, the thing will
> get interesting; that's not likely to happen, though, unless access(2)
> goes there [this is NOT a suggestion, folks].
>

> ->get_link()
> ------------
>
> Again, this can be called in RCU mode.	Even if your ->d_revalidate()

s/tab/space/

> always returns -ECHILD in RCU mode and kicks the pathwalk out of it,
> you can't assume that ->get_link() won't be reached [#f2]_.
> NULL dentry argument is an indicator of unsafe call; if you can't handle
> it, just return ERR_PTR(-ECHILD).  Any allocations you need to do (and
> with this method you really might need that) should be done with GFP_ATOMIC
> in the unsafe case.
>
> Whatever you pass to set_delayed_call() is going to be called
> in the same mode as ->get_link() itself; not a problem for most of the
> instances.  The string you return needs to stay there until the
> callback gets called or, if no callback is set, until at least the
> freeing of inode.  As usual, for an unsafe call the inode might be
> in process of teardown, possibly along with the hosting filesystem.
> The usual considerations apply.  The same, BTW, applies to whatever
> you set in ->i_link - it must stay around at least until ->free_inode().
>

> ->get_inode_acl()
> -----------------
>
> Very limited exposure for that one - unsafe call is possible
> only if you explicitly set ACL_DONT_CACHE as cached ACL value.
> Only two filesystems (fuse and overlayfs) even bother.  Unsafe call
> is indicated by explicit flag (the third argument of the method),
> bailout is done by returning ERR_PTR(-CHILD) and the usual considerations
> apply for any access to data structures you might need to do.
>
> .. rubric:: Footnotes
>
> .. [#f1]
>
> Some callers prevent being called for dying dentry (holding ->d_lock and
> having verified !d_unhashed() or finding it in the list of inode's aliases
> under ->i_lock).  For those the scenario in question simply cannot arise.
>
> Some follow the match with lockref_get_not_dead() and treat the failure
> as mismatch.  That takes care of false positives, and false negatives on
> dying dentry are still correct - we simply pretend to have lost the race.
>
> The only caller that does not fit into the classes above is
> __d_lookup_rcu_op_compare().  There we sample ->d_seq and verify
> !d_unhashed() before calling ->d_compare().  That is not enough to
> prevent dentry from starting to die right under us; however, the sampled
> value of ->d_seq will be rechecked when the caller gets to step_into(),
> so for a false positive we will end up with a mismatch.  The corner case
> around ->d_manage() is due to the handle_mounts() done before step_into()
> gets to ->d_seq validation...
>
> .. [#f2]
>
> binding a symlink on top of a regular file on another filesystem is possible
> and that's all it takes for RCU pathwalk to get there.

Thanks for the documentation.

--
#Randy