Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Large folios, swap and fscache

On Feb 22, 2024, at 3:45 PM, Chris Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 1:10 AM David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The topic came up in a recent discussion about how to deal with large folios
>> when it comes to swap as a swap device is normally considered a simple array
>> of PAGE_SIZE-sized elements that can be indexed by a single integer.
>
> Sorry for being late for the party. I think I was the one that brought
> this topic up in the online discussion with Will and You. Let me know
> if you are referring to a different discussion.
>

>> With the advent of large folios, however, we might need to change this in
>> order to be better able to swap out a compound page efficiently.  Swap
>> fragmentation raises its head, as does the need to potentially save multiple
>> indices per folio.  Does swap need to grow more filesystem features?
>
> Yes, with a large folio, it is harder to allocate continuous swap
> entries where 4K swap entries are allocated and free all the time. The
> fragmentation will likely make the swap file have very little
> continuous swap entries.

One option would be to reuse the multi-block allocator (mballoc) from
ext4, which has quite efficient power-of-two buddy allocation.  That
would naturally aggregate contiguous pages as they are freed.  Since
the swap partition is not containing anything useful across a remount
there is no need to save allocation bitmaps persistently.

Cheers, Andreas

> We can change that assumption, allow large folio reading and writing
> of discontinued blocks on the block device level. We will likely need
> a file system like kind of the indirection layer to store the location
> of those blocks. In other words, the folio needs to read/write a list
> of io vectors, not just one block.
>

>> Further to this, we have at least two ways to cache data on disk/flash/etc. -
>> swap and fscache - and both want to set aside disk space for their operation.
>> Might it be possible to combine the two?
>>
>> One thing I want to look at for fscache is the possibility of switching from a
>> file-per-object-based approach to a tagged cache more akin to the way OpenAFS
>> does things.  In OpenAFS, you have a whole bunch of small files, each
>> containing a single block (e.g. 256K) of data, and an index that maps a
>> particular {volume,file,version,block} to one of these files in the cache.
>>
>> Now, I could also consider holding all the data blocks in a single file (or
>> blockdev) - and this might work for swap.  For fscache, I do, however, need to
>> have some sort of integrity across reboots that swap does not require.
>
> The main trade off is the memory usage for the meta data and latency
> of reading and writing.
> The file system has typically a different IO pattern than swap, e.g.
> file reads can be batched and have good locality.
> Where swap is a lot of random location read/write.
>
> Current swap using array like swap entry, one of the pros of that is
> just one IO required for one folio.
> The performance gets worse when swap needs to read the metadata first
> to locate the block, then read the block of data in.
> Page fault latency will get longer. That is one of the trade-offs we
> need to consider.
>
> Chris

Cheers, Andreas