Re: [RFC] ->d_name accesses

On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 2:55 PM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 10:22:48PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> >       One way to do that would be to replace d_name with
> >       union {
> >               const struct qstr d_name;
> >               struct qstr __d_name;
> >       };
> > and let the the places that want to modify it use __d_name.
> > Tempting, but the thing that makes me rather nervous about this
> > approach is that such games with unions are straying into
> > the nasal demon country (C99 6.7.3[5]), inviting the optimizers
> > to play.  Matt Wilcox pointed out that mainline already has
> > i_nlink/__i_nlink pair, but...  there are fewer users of those
> > and the damage from miscompiles would be less sensitive.
> > Patch along those lines would be pretty simple, though.
>
> You're referring to this, I assume:
>
>         If an attempt is made to modify an object defined with
>         a const-qualified type through use of an lvalue with
>         non-const-qualified type, the behavior is undefined

I have 100% observed llvm throw out writes to objects declared as
const where folks tried to write via "casting away the const" (since
that's UB) which resulted in boot failures in the Linux kernel
affecting android devices.  I can't find the commit in question at the
moment, but seemed to have made some kind of note in it in 2020.
https://android-review.git.corp.google.com/c/platform/prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/+/1201901/1/RELEASE_NOTES.md

That said, I just tried Al's union, and don't observe such optimizations.
https://godbolt.org/z/zrj71E8W5

This whole suggestion makes me laugh "in C++ private members."

--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers