Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Rust

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 10:58:09PM +0000, David Howells wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I really want this to happen.  It's taken 50 years, but we finally have
> > a programming language that can replace C for writing kernels.

(I'm not sure Matthew wants to rewrite the existing kernel piece in
Rust, my read is more like he feels Rust can be used for new or
experimental stuffs)

> I really don't want this to happen.  Whilst I have sympathy with the idea that
> C can be replaced with something better - Rust isn't it.  The syntax is awful.
> It's like they looked at perl and thought they could beat it at inventing
> weird and obfuscated bits of operator syntax.  Can't they replace the syntax
> with something a lot more C-like[*]?

Isn't the feeling on the syntax (like, hate or can live with) really
based on personal experience? I'd rather not use this as an argument,
since I can find syntax haters for every language ;-)

> But quite apart from that, mass-converting the kernel to Rust is pretty much
> inevitably going introduce a whole bunch of new bugs.

Desite whether this is what gets proposed here, I do really want to
agree with you, but I'm not able to tell whether this is an educational
prediction or unnecessary worry, since I could say the same thing for
every patchset that adds new features ;-)

To me, it doesn't matter which language wins the "best C replacement for
kernel programming" award, the lessons we learn from Rust-for-Linux will
likely apply for any other "high-level" language. Hope that we can all
agree on that it's all OK that people want to try out new stuffs and see
if they *actually* work. Because then we can discuss on something
concrete and objective.

Regards,
Boqun