Re: Iterate over inodes at umount?

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 13:15:26 Fredrik Arnerup wrote:
> Yes, it was pointed out to me that super_operations.delete_inode gets
> called when unmounting.
> (I thought delete_inode meant "delete the file". Still not clear on what
> the difference is between destroy_inode, clear_inode and delete_inode.)

The meanings of these calls are not immediately obvious when you first look at
the code.  As I understand it, the semantics of the calls are:

* delete_inode is used to delete the inode from storage, i.e. "delete the file"
* clear_inode is used when a struct inode is no longer being used to cache
metadata, you can use it to clear any filesystem-specific fields you might have
* destroy_inode callback requests you to free the inode's memory.  This is
useful, since you can also specify a custom alloc_inode for your filesystem,
allowing you to embed a struct inode *inside* a filesystem-specific structure.
destroy_inode can be used to free your filesystem-specific structure (including
the embedded struct inode) once it's not needed

Cheers,
Mark