Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] bcachefs

On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 11:22:28AM -0800, Carl E. Thompson wrote:

> > On 2024-01-03 9:52 AM PST Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Could ZNS model affects a GC operations? Or, oppositely, ZNS model can
> > > help to manage GC operations more efficiently?
> >
> > The ZNS model only adds restrictions on top of a regular block device,
> > so no it's not _helpful_ for our GC operations.

> Could he be talking about the combination of bcachefs and internal
> drive garbage collection rather than only bcachefs garbage collection
> individually? I think the idea with many (most?) ZNS flash drives is
> that they don't have internal garbage collection at all and that the
> drive's erase/write cycles are more directly controlled / managed by
> the filesystem and OS block driver. I think the idea is supposed to be
> that the OS's drivers can manage garbage collection more efficiently
> that any generic drive firmware could. So the ZNS model is not just
> adding restrictions to a regular block devices, it's also shifting the
> responsibility for the drive's **internal** garbage collection to the
> OS drivers which is supposed to improve efficiency.
>
> Or I could be completely wrong because this is not an area of
> expertise for me.

Yeah nothing really changes for bcachefs, GC-wise. We already have to
have copygc, and it works the same with ZNS as without.

The only difference is that with the SMR hard drivers buckets are a lot
bigger than you'd otherwise pick, but how much that affects you is
entirely dependent on your workload (random overwrites or no).