Re: file handle in statx (was: Re: How to cope with subvolumes and snapshots on muti-user systems?)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 at 17:08, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In short, STATX_ATTR_INUM_NOT_UNIQUE is required to tell userspace when
> > they _must_ do the new thing if they care about correctness; it provides
> > a way to tell userspace what guarantees we're able to provide.
>
> That flag would not help with improving userspace software.

Are you sure?

Suppose I wanted to export an filesystem using some protocol (maybe one
called "NFSv4"), and suppose this protocol supported the communication
of an attribute called "fileid" which was optional but requires to be
fully unique if provided at all.

If I had access to STATX_ATTR_INUM_NOT_UNIQUE, then I could not export
the fileid when it didn't met the protocol requirements, but could when
it did.

This may not be a strong case for the inclusion of the flag it is, I
think, a clear indication that "would not help" is what our fact
checkers would call "over-reach".

NeilBrown