RE: file handle in statx

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 7:44 PM Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > > to do
> measured?
> > >
> > > A user space NFS server like Ganesha could benefit from getting
> > > attributes and file handle in a single system call.
> > >
> > > Potentially it could also avoid some of the challenges of using
> > > name_to_handle_at that is a privileged operation.
> >
> > which begs the question - why is name_to_handle_at() privileged?
> >

> AFAICT, it is not privileged.
> Only open_by_handle_at() is privileged.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm a consumer of these interfaces, not so much in the kernel these days.

Ganesha depends on open_by_handle_at as well, so requires privilege to do handle stuff with kernel file systems.

In any case, Ganesha could easily benefit from a savings of system calls.

What would also be handy is a read directory with attributes that gave the statx results for each entry.

Frank