Re: [GIT PULL] iomap: bug fixes for 6.6-rc7

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 08:13:25PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 01:47:17PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:

> > > Sorry about that.  After reviewing the output of git request-pull, I
> > > have learned that if you provide a $url argument that does not point to
> > > a repo containing $start, it will print a warning to stderr and emit a
> > > garbage pull request to stdout anyway.  No --force required or anything.
> > > Piping stdout to mutt without checking the return code is therefore a
> > > bad idea.
> > >
> > > I have now updated my wrapper script to buffer the entire pull request
> > > contents and check the return value before proceeding.
> > >
> > > It is a poor workman who blames his tools, so I declare publicly that
> > > you have an idiot for a maintainer.
> > >
> > > Christian: Do you have the bandwidth to take over fs/iomap/?
> >
> > If this helps you I will take iomap over but only if you and Christoph
> > stay around as main reviewers.
>
> I can't speak for Christoph, but I am very much willing to continue
> developing patches for fs/iomap, running the QA farm to make sure it's
> working properly, and reviewing everyone else's patches.  Same as I do
> now.
>
> What I would like to concentrate on in the future are:
>
> (a) improving documentation and cleanups that other fs maintainers have
>     been asking for and I haven't had time to work on
>
> (b) helping interested fs maintainers port their fs to iomap for better
>     performance
>
> (c) figuring out how to integrate smoothly with things like fsverity and
>     fscrypt
>
> (d) not stepping on *your* toes every time you want to change something
>     in the vfs only to have it collide with iomap changes that you
>     didn't see
>
> Similar to what we just did with XFS, I propose breaking up the iomap
> Maintainer role into pieces that are more manageable by a single person.

Sounds good.

> As RM, all you'd have to do is integrate reviewed patches and pull
> requests into one of your work branches.  That gives you final say over
> what goes in and how it goes in, instead of letting branches collide in
> for-next without warning.
>
> You can still forward on the review requests and bug reports to me.

Ok, cool.

> That part isn't changing.  I've enjoyed working with you and hope
> that'll continue well into the future. :)

Thanks. That's good to hear and right back at you.

> > There's not much point in me pretending I
> > can meaningfully review fs/iomap/ and I don't have the bandwith even if
> > I could. So not without clear reviewers.
>
> I hope the above assuades your concerns/fears!

Yes.

> > But, - and I'm sorry if I may overstep bounds a little bit - I think
> > this self-castigation is really unwarranted. And we all very much know
> > that you definitely aren't an idiot. And personally I think we shouldn't
> > give the impression that we expect this sort of repentance when we make
> > mistakes.
> >
> > In other words, if the sole reason you're proposing this is an
> > objectively false belief then I would suggest to reconsider.
>
> Quite the opposite, these are changes that I've been wanting to make for
> months. :)

In that case I would propose you send a patch to Linus for MAINTAINERS
updating the tree and the entries for iomap. I believe it's customary
for the current maintainer to do this.

Thanks!
Christian