Question about fuse dax support

I see that there is some limited support for dax mapping of fuse files, but
it seems to be specifically for virtiofs. I admit I barely understand that
use case, but there is another fuse/dax use case that I’d like to explore.
I would appreciate feedback on this, including pointers to RTFM material,
etc.

I’m interested in creating a file system interface to fabric-attached shared
memory (cxl). Think of a fuse file system that receives metadata (how MD is
distributed is orthogonal) and instantiates files that are backed by dax
memory (S_DAX files), such that the same ‘data sets’ can be visible as
mmap-able files on more than one server. I’d like feedback as to whether
this is (or could be) doable via fuse.

Here is the main rub though. For this to perform adequately, I don’t think
it would be acceptable for each fault to call up to user space to resolve
the dax device & offset. So the kernel side of fuse would need to cache a
dax extent list for each file to TLB/page-table misses.

I would appreciate any questions, pointers or feedback.

Thanks,
John Groves
Micron