Re: [MAINTAINERS/KERNEL SUMMIT] Trust and maintenance of file systems

On 9/18/23 6:14AM, Jan Kara wrote:

I agree. On the other hand each filesystem we carry imposes some
maintenance burden (due to tree wide changes that are happening) and the
question I have for some of them is: Do these filesystems actually bring
any value? I.e., are there still any users left? Sadly that's quite
difficult to answer so people do bother only if the pain is significant
enough like in the case of reiserfs. But I suspect we could get rid of a
few more without a real user complaining (e.g. Shaggy said he'd be happy to
deprecate JFS and he's not aware of any users).

Sorry for the late response, but just catching up on this discussion.

When I did make that statement, I did get a response that there actually are some users out there that want JFS to stay.

Every few weeks I do try to catch up JFS things. I can try to do so weekly. (We'll see how that goes.) I'm not promising and major revisions though.

Shaggy